The goal of this project is to develop a modern, engaging, and user-friendly website for 604Now, an online platform focused on delivering up-to-date information on local events, attractions, dining, and lifestyle news in the Metro Vancouver area. The website will serve as a central hub for both residents and tourists to discover and explore the best of what the region has to offer.
Rather than making changes and fixes to the old website’s code, we decided to completely rework it. This led to marvelous results, including a significant increase in traffic.
- Design an intuitive and visually appealing user interface that captures the essence of the Metro Vancouver area and enhances the user experience.
- Develop a responsive website that is compatible with various devices, including desktops, tablets, and smartphones.
- Implement a robust content management system (CMS) that enables easy publishing and management of articles, event listings, and other content.
- Optimize the website for search engine visibility, ensuring the site ranks high in search results for relevant keywords.
- Integrate social media sharing functionality to encourage users to share content with their networks.
We researched the Google Maps API and were able to format the data from Advanced Custom Fields (ACF) into something compatible with Google Maps. We figured out how to distinguish which item in the list was visible in the viewport, and we used that to connect and display the right marker on the map.
A number of JS plugins were linked together along with custom code added to increase the functionality of the website, several JS plugins were connected together and some custom code was added.
We wanted to emulate Instagram stories and used Swiper JS as the core engine. Unfortunately, its pagination is different from Instagram, so we needed to make each fraction look like a progress bar that pauses and resumes the progress when the Play/Pause button is hit.
Code and Design Review
The design phase focused on creating a visually appealing and user-friendly interface that encapsulates the essence of the Metro Vancouver area. Our design team employed the following strategies:
- Layout & Navigation: We designed an intuitive layout with clear navigation menus, ensuring users can easily find the information they are looking for. We utilized a responsive design to accommodate various screen sizes and devices.
- Imagery & Multimedia: High-quality images and multimedia elements were incorporated into the website to showcase the diverse attractions and events in the region, enhancing user engagement and interest.
- Branding & Consistency: The website’s design was aligned with the existing 604Now brand, maintaining consistency across all platforms and channels.
The development phase of the 604Now website project involved a combination of front-end and back-end coding, the implementation of a content management system, and the integration of custom functionality, including a map guide and web story feature. The website was built using Elementor, a powerful and flexible WordPress page builder, which allowed for a streamlined development process and easy customization of the site’s design and features.
The successful completion of the 604Now website project resulted in a visually appealing, user-friendly, and feature-rich platform that caters to the needs of both residents and tourists seeking information on local events, attractions, dining, and lifestyle news in the Metro Vancouver area. The website’s launch led to an increase in user engagement, higher search engine rankings, and a positive impact on the overall brand image.
After completely reworking the website’s code and using the latest SEO techniques, their traffic increased by 5 times if compare the week after the launch to the week before. Google now understands the website better and promotes pages on 604now as relevant to local search queries, resulting in increased traffic.