Changes to Google Analytics Announced
Google recently announced that Universal Analytics will officially retire and stop processing new hits on July 1, 2023. But not to worry! You don’t need to necessarily send your Marketing team to look for alternatives for your website analytics. While alternatives do exist, Google Analytics is making things simple for you to stay.
About Google Analytics 4
Google Analytics 4 is the next-generation measurement solution, and it’s replacing Universal Analytics. On July 1, 2023, standard Universal Analytics properties will stop processing new hits. If you still rely on Universal Analytics, we recommend that you prepare to use Google Analytics 4 going forward.
Here are some of the things the Google Analytics 4 (GA4) property measures as described on their support site:
- Collects both website and app data to better understand the customer journey
- Uses event-based data instead of session-based
- Includes privacy controls such as cookieless measurement, and behavioral and conversion modeling
- Predictive capabilities offer guidance without complex models
- Direct integrations to media platforms help drive actions on your website or app
Understanding what’s happened
As of July 1, 2023, Google Analytics will stop collecting new data in your Universal Analytics properties. However you will still be able to access your previously processed data in your Universal Analytics property for at least six months. Going forward, new data will only flow into Google Analytics 4 properties. We know your data is important to you, and we strongly encourage you to export your historical reports during this time.
There is no information yet on when the existing Universal Analytics properties will no longer be available. Once this happens you’ll no longer be able to see your Universal Analytics reports in the Analytics interface or access your Universal Analytics data via the API.
Check if your Google Analytics property is impacted
- If you created your property before October 14, 2020, you’re likely using a Universal Analytics property.
- If you created your property after October 14, 2020, you’re likely using a Google Analytics 4 property already, and no action is required.
Complete your next steps
We strongly encourage you to make the switch to Google Analytics 4 as soon as possible. Doing so will allow you to build the necessary historical data and usage in the new experience, preparing you for continuity once Universal Analytics is no longer available.
For help or support feel free to contact us.
Graphem Solutions is an award winning Vancouver web design and development company. If you’re having trouble coming up with a strategy for your website and want to generate and convert more leads contact us. Take advantage of our FREE website analysis and 20 minute consultation. Talk to one of our web experts and get real advice on how to make your website work for you.